File this under facts on facts.
This makes me think of a beautiful post that I mentioned in one of my Read This Week features; a post by @HarrietThugman about Black people of other cultural backgrounds who diminish Black American culture, and shouldn’t….for it is so rich.
My cultural heritage involves a mixture of my love for some things specific to Jamaican culture (because of my background, being raised in a Jamaican family by Jamaican parents, but being raised in America and actually born in America) and some things specific to being an American Black (I love how Nikki says Black is the NOUN and American is the adjective), and some things that seems to connect Black people despite where in the diaspora we are.
harry potter character tropes → Harry James Potter
Jon Stewart is back from vacation, and he’s not wasting any time going after one of his favorite targets: Fox News.
"All my friends have been killed, I’m sick of it."
- Protestor Jamell Spann yells at Ferguson police officers.
I see and write a lot of “DON’T DO THIS!!!” posts, so I thought I would make a “DO THIS!!!” post.
- More POC in leading roles
- More important friendships
- More queer characters in leading roles
- More disabled characters in leading roles
- More genderqueer and trans characters in leading roles
- Realistic women in leading roles
- Happier/more positive characters and messages
- 45 Things I Want to See More Of (Part 2)
- Black Villains
- Boys in YA
- Cool Things (2) (3)
- Fantasy (2)
- Female Characters (2)
- Female Character Traits
- Horror Genre Mashups
- Magic Systems
- Male Characters
- Medieval Fantasy
- Modern Fantasy
- Romance (2)
- Soulmate AUs
- Stories I Want to Read
- Urban Fantasy
- What thewritingcafe Wants
- YA Novels (2) (3) (4)
The plot bunnies tag is likewise updating and includes posts that I think would make for an interesting story.
More Things I Would Like to See
- Steampunk with different ethnic influences alongside the gears
- Utopias that try really hard to be good, even though they aren’t and never will be perfect
- Science and magic coexisting
- Creation stories - stories that focus on building and growth rather than destruction
- People are good themes
- Extroverted protagonists
- Environments other than temperate deciduous
- Stories centered on art
- Stories without war
1957 #Jaguar XK-SS Roadster
The Hunger Games, Actual Teen style!
On the left, 15-year-old Josh Hutcherson.
On the right, 16-year-old Jennifer Lawrence.
Think how much creepier it would be to see them killing other kids when they look so squishy-cheeked and little.
"Think how much creepier it would be to see them killing other kids when they look so squishy-cheeked and little."
THAT’S THE POINT SUZANNE COLLINS WAS TRYING TO MAKE
I feel you, BUT. A group of people getting tossed into an arena to kill each other for rich people’s entertainment is fucking creepy no matter how old anyone involved is.
"Well, then why should we do anything more than once? Should I just smoke this one cigarette? Maybe we should only have sex once, if it’s the same thing. Should we just watch one sunset? Or live just one day? It’s new every time, each time is a different experience."